01 September 2011

snack time-


About 3 years ago, I bought a package of these Quaker granola bites from Costco. The box has remained in our cupboard, holding granola bars, raisin boxes and crackers over the years. Ryder frequently sees the box and asks if we can buy the granola bites again "some day". I haven't seen them in stores since then (not that I've looked real hard), so to finally make my boy happy, I decided to make them myself. Actually it was quite an enjoyable activity, while the 2 girls slept (for 3.5 hours each!), Ryder and I created our own recipe including all things yummy. Our final product tastes MUCH better than the store bought version and has all natural ingredients (that is, if you count chocolate chips as "natural"). Here's the recipe:

SALEM & RYDER'S PEANUT BUTTER BALLS

-1/2 c. peanut butter
-1/3 c. honey
-2 TBSP butter
-1 tsp. vanilla
-1 c. oats
-1 c. mixture of chopped nuts (we used peanuts & almonds), wheat germ, flax seed meal & coconut
-1/2 c. chocolate chips or dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, etc.)

Mix first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Once incorporated/melted, add vanilla.
Remove from heat and add remainder of ingredients. Roll into balls (or use a small ice cream scoop), and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Place in the refrigerator until chilled/solid. Then enjoy!
*These also freeze really well. I actually made some individual bags of them for Burke to grab in the mornings as breakfast, or a snack for during the day.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Those sound Yummy!
Can't wait to try them.

Annie and Jason said...

Yum. I have all this stuff and I'm making it tonight.