09 October 2011

2 easies


Here are 2 easy recipes we used last week:

Easy Peasy Crock-pot Chili


Monday was a day I woke up and realized I hadn't given any thought to what was for dinner. My first thought was the crock-pot. My second thought was the cooler fall temperatures and how fun it would be to have some warm soup. I knew I had to use whatever was on hand and didn't have much time before work, so this was kind of a throw-it-together chili, but it turned out yummy so I thought I would share.

Ingredients:
onion (I used about 1.5)
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 can corn
2 cans beans (I used 1 kidney and 1 great northern)
any other veggies on hand (I used some carrots and bell peppers)
and any spices you like, I used 1T chili powder, some cumin, oregano, S&P, red pepper flakes, and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg

Throw it all in the crock-pot, stir it up, and turn on low heat for about 6 hours. If you like your chili thicker, stir some cornstarch (mixed in water first) in the pot about 10 minutes before you're ready to serve it and turn it up to high heat.

Serve with cornbread, cheese, sour cream, scallions, or whatever fixings you like.

See? It's quick, easy, and open to a myriad of flavors :-).


Mediterranean Inspired Stir-fry


I've been on a Mediterranean kick lately and Friday was another night that I didn't know what was for dinner (it's been a busy week). With that combination, the following ensued:

Ingredients:
olive oil
onion
garlic
veggies (tomato, bell pepper, carrot is what I used)
garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
spices
cucumber
feta cheese

Heat pan, coat with oil. Add onion and garlic, cook for a few minutes. Add whatever veggies you have/like, cook until crisp. Add garbanzo beans (I used 1 can) and your favorite spices (I used basil, cloves, garlic, oregano, parsley, rosemary, and thyme). Cook until beans are heated through, add a little more olive oil if needed.

Serve over your favorite grain and top with diced cucumber and feta cheese. It's scrumptious.



1 comment:

Salem said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm.....