17 September 2011

A Saturday Lunch...


My little Ellery really really likes Hummus. So much, that the other day that was her first word spoken at 7:01 am. I picked her up out of bed and with a sleepy voice she said, "hummus breakfast". And she asks for it EVERYDAY for lunch. Since it can be a little pricey, I try to make my own. Today was no exception. It was lunch time, so I made my girl some hummus. For some reason it was extra fun...maybe because it's Saturday, maybe because there are leaves on the ground and the sun is shining outside, or maybe because I let her add the salt and push the button. A perfect lunch for a perfect girl...


I don't think I have THE BEST recipe yet. But each time I make Hummus it gets better. Today we used:

-1 can Chickpeas
-1/4 cup Tahini (sesame seed paste)
-1 roasted Red Pepper (place on rimmed cookie sheet in the oven at 375* for about 20 mins. Rotate pepper every 6 mins. or so until soft and browned on each side)
-salt and pepper to taste
-lemon juice from 1 lemon
-1 garlic clove

Mix all ingredients in food processor until smooth and creamy.

2 comments:

Laura and Clint said...

Where do you find tahini? I couldn't find it today.

Salem said...

It should be in all grocery stores but can be tricky to find. Sometimes it's actually by the Peanut Butter. Or sometimes it's in the Oriental section. Or you can ask an employee (they probably won't know...but you can try!).