10 September 2011

Our eats...


*Monday: Yesterday ended up being much busier than I anticipated, so I didn't even make dinner! Terrible, I know. So we're going to make our stuffed shells tonight instead. I'll have a huge green salad to go with mine.

*Tuesday: Pesto Pizza with Grilled Onions--we had a super yummy pesto pizza at a restaurant in MI last week. I'm going to recreate (but make it even better) by grilling some sliced onions to go on top of the pizza. I've also been meaning to make a bunch of pesto (and thanks to Laura's reminder), so I'll use this recipe (and fyi-Pignolis = Pine nuts). Add a few kinds of cheese (along with the pesto and onions) on top of the easiest crust (see recipe below) and enjoy!

*Wednesday: Tomatoes stuffed with Grilled Corn Salad (see image above) On a night like tonight, I can pretty much guarantee the kids won't be too thrilled about dinner. But I also know Burke would love this recipe, and it's really important to me that my kids try new things. However, I don't like whiny kids at dinner time. So it's common around here for me to modify a recipe to make the kids and adults happy. For instance, tonight's meal, I'll probably serve the kids their Grilled Corn Salad over brown rice (instead of in a tomato). Some kids would love the tomato too, and Elle does on certain days. But usually it's worth it to me to make the kids happy--as long as I'm not making a separate meal.

*Thursday: Leftovers

*Friday: Grilled Sweet potatoes with Scallions & Trader Joe's Wild Rice (I think Haven will especially enjoy this dinner!)

*Saturday: A few weeks ago, we attended an out door story time. Lucky for us they were giving out lots of coupons--one of which was a free kids meal at Qdoba. We ended up with about 6 coupons (I swear I don't even know how that happened). I've only eaten here once or twice and haven't been a big fan, so I guess I'll give it another shot (for the sake of the free meals ;)

*Sunday: Leftovers

FAST AND EASY PIZZA DOUGH

1 T honey
1 T oil
1 c warm water
1 T yeast
1/2 t garlic salt

2 1/2-3 c flour

Preheat oven to 475. (If using pizza stone, let heat for at least 30 minutes in the oven before baking pizza.) mix all pizza dough ingredients, except flour, together. Add flour and knead for a bit. Spread onto parchment paper sprinkled with corneal. Let rest for a few minutes to let dough rise a little if you want fluffier crust. Add sauce, toppings, and cheese. Slide onto pizza paddle (or sided cookie sheet) and then slide onto hot stone. Bake about 8 minutes (check after 5 or 6 if stone has been oven for a long time.) Makes 1 large pizza.

1 comment:

sarahvera said...

thanks for the stuffed shells recipe! we had them last night and i ate leftovers for lunch today :-0 they're yummy