10 May 2010

I survived!

I made it through my race, and actually had lots of fun. The night of the race, Burke and I snuggled up to watch this movie, that my Dad had recorded. It was pretty fascinating-and eye-opening. So in-lou of my weekly menu, I would encourage everyone to watch (although be warned--it is a little graphic) at least the trailer of this film.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to promote whether or not organic is best, or how much high-fructose corn syrup is okay, but I do know that it scares me many times when I think of what we consume on a regular basis. I LOVE the idea of having a huge garden, where I can grow all my own veggies, and cook more simply. I feel a little stuck, because I don't know exactly how to change my eating to be getting exactly what I need--and how to avoid all the "fake" stuff. But I think it's pretty safe to say that after watching this movie, Burke and I have definitely decided to eat a little less meat, a little more fresh, and in general to just not eat AS MUCH. We are supposed to eat to survive, not for pleasure. So from now on, it's going to be healthful and wholesome around here. I want to take care of my body--and my families' as well. Now go watch that movie!!!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Not eating for pleasure? I want nothing to do with that movie. I'm pretending like you did not even post that. :) Thanks for keeping up this blog, I love the recipes you include and I am more motivated to make dinner every week.

Salem said...

Haha...no really, it will change your way of thinking. I'm not saying I didn't have a heaping bowl of ice cream last night (okay...I did--with hot fudge and peanuts :), but I just don't want my life to revolve around food...

nicole ellis said...

Hey i thought the trailer was interesting! last week i decided to make a new effort to eat more fruits and vegetables with every meal and so far i've done a pretty good job! totally excited to try some of these recipes on here!

sarahvera said...

Such a good/disturbing movie! Glad you enjoyed it and props to you for taking action. Plus you ran a 25K pshh... superwoman.