21 July 2011

Dinner Tonight



This is what I ate. Plain old Bruschetta. It was absolutely delightful, and so simple. To round off the meal, I had a green salad made with spinach, romaine, cucumbers and sunflower seeds (I have to have crunch on my salad). I love summer meals, because I feel like I don't need to spend time slaving away in the kitchen. And to make my meal even more special, I shared it with my 2 year old on my lap. We practically fought for the last piece. And neither of us even "like" tomatoes!

Here's the tasty recipe:

2 tomatoes, diced
1 tsp. dried basil (or fresh)
4 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
seasoning salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 baguette, sliced

In a medium bowl, mix tomatoes, dried basil, parmesan cheese, olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper. Cover and chill in refrigerator 8 hours, or overnight, before serving (I rarely make mine ahead of time, but do love to keep the leftovers in the fridge to make fresh bruschetta with the next day). Toast bread slices slightly under the broiler (until the bread begins to brown around the edges). Top with tomato mixture and a sprinkle of parmesan and broil for a few more minutes (until the cheese begins to melt). Enjoy with a 2 year old on your lap. ;)

1 comment:

sarahvera said...

This post was adorable. I think I'll have to use this to put the two tomatoes on our counter to good use. Thanks! And happy anniversary!!