26 February 2011

sugar cookies and Sayonara!


I made some sugar cookies yesterday. They're already all gone. So I'm making more today! Don't worry, I gave most of them away. But since I'm Utah bound in less than 48 hours, I thought I needed some for the road. I still don't think I've found world's best recipe, but for now, here is the one I use (thanks to this lady). Don't these cookies make you think spring is just around the corner?!

LAVERNE'S SUGAR COOKIES

-1 c. shortening
-2 c. sugar
-3 eggs
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 tsp baking soda
-2 tsp baking powder
-1 1/4 tsp salt
-1 c. milk
-7-8 c. flour

Cream shortening and sugar well. Add eggs and vanilla (I like to add a dash of almond flavoring as well). Add flour, salt, baking powder and soda alternately with milk. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Chill for 3-4 hours.
Roll out dough thick. Cut with a cookie cutter. Bake cookies on a cookie sheet at 350* for about eight minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE!

SUGAR COOKIE GLAZE:

-1 c. confectioners sugar
-1 TBLSP light corn syrup
-2 TBLSP wather
-food coloring (if desired)

Stir first 3 ingredients together. Add food coloring (I like to add almond extract to this glaze as well). Dip the cooled cookies in the glaze and sprinkle with sugar/sprinkles. Let them sit until firm. Glaze needs to be stirred often or it will get stiff.

OR

BEST FROSTING:

-3 c. powdered sugar
-1/3 c. butter (softened)
-2-3 TBLSP milk
-1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer until creamy. Spread on top of cooled sugar cookies. *You guessed right, I normally add almond extract to the frosting as well. Let's just say almond flavor makes everything better...


*and p.s. I'll be gone for over 2 weeks! So in lou of copying my dinners every night (I won't be posting--but if you're really stuck, head on over to Cafe Rio...I'll be there ;), just go ahead and keep making some sugar cookies until I'm back!

2 comments:

sarahvera said...

sayonara? yeah right! more like bonjour in 3 days!!!!

sarahvera said...

p.s. is it creepy that now i regularly comment on both of your blogs? oh well :-)